"This was a story about a girl who could find infinite beauty in anything..."-The Brothers Bloom

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mind on your music


It's half past midnight and I'm awake watching Classic Arts Showcase on KNXT Visalia just like old times; back when I was seventeen and first fell in love with opera and performing. I used to watch this back in high school when I couldn't sleep and once an opera video came on from La Traviata. It was Anna Moffo (haha mofo!) singing "Addio del passato" by Verdi. It was 1 a.m. and I was falling asleep but I was so captivated by it. I was struck by this sad dying woman singing to God with her last breath begging him to forgive her for the things she'd done. And the music! The music that makes your senses come alive; that flows out to you like a hundred fluffy dandelion seeds blown by the wind. And that oboe! It makes you feel like your chest is going to crack open and your heart spill out.

And now here I am seven years later and I'm watching another late night opera video. And it's La Traviata again!  It's Dame Joan Sutherland singing "Sempre Libera." It's been awhile since I've felt inspired. I love singing. I love the lights, excitement, the feeling you get when an entire theater is focused on the drama that you are making, and most of all the music. Seeing that tonight made me remember that I can't lose focus now or get distracted from the thing that I really love, because I won't be satisfied until I see my name on the outside of my own damn dressing room.

0 comments:

Post a Comment